[Gllug] partition table screwup

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Tue Nov 1 12:29:48 UTC 2005

"Martin A. Brooks" writes:

>Minty wrote:
>> i've done something rather dumb
>
>I'm not sure how to answer your question, so I won't try but I'm
>curious: Why on earth do you need to chop up a single disk into so many
>pieces?  Are you multibooting 5 operating systems? :)

Conversely, why would you want to stick it all on a single filesystem?
Multiple filesystems have many benefits -- the ability to mount them
read only for added security, the inability of a rogue process to fill
up the root filesystem, etc. I have 9 native (local) filesystems, and
struggle to see why people would do it differently. With LVM giving you
the flexibility to resize the filesystems as necessary, you don't even
have the downsides of a few years ago.

Incidentally, Minty -- try LVM. It would have made your initial problem
trivial to solve, and you'll never go back.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk