[Gllug] [OT] Technobabble

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 21 12:30:35 UTC 2005

On Mon 21 Nov, David Damerell wrote:

> >>Hint; orders of magnitude more somewhat cleaner cars doesn't get you
> >>reduced emissions. That's rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
> >It not rearranging deck chairs, it one of many, many things necessary to
> >stop the destruction of the environment
>
> No, orders of magnitude more somewhat cleaner cars is *not* one of the
> things necessary to save the environment. It is one of the things that
> will ensure the destruction of same. What is needed is _fewer_ motor
> cars (and cleaner ones wouldn't hurt, either).

   I have heard a (possibly incorrect) claim that the amount of energy
required to build a car is comparable to the amount of energy required to
power the car through its expected lifetime. Perhaps it depends on the mean
time between impacts, together with the proportion of time spent in low gear
while negotiating speed limits, sleeping policemen, and potholes.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk