[Gllug] Sony Protected CD's apparently installing rootkits...

Junior Williamson junior at acetechno.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Nov 1 13:01:54 UTC 2005

Hello Everyone,

I've seen this on Slashdot
	http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/31/2016223&tid=172&tid=158

& The Inquirer
	http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27349

It seems the DRM system used by Sony on it's CD in this case (apparently
written by a company called First 4 Internet) automatically installs a nasty
rootkit which is very difficult to remove.

I know that this was found on a windows based system, but I also know that
many people on this list do use Windows as well.

if this is what manufacturers are trying to do to control their copyright, we
should all be very wary.

Has anyone else on the list heard of this sort of thing from a major
manufacturer?

Cheers

Junior

Junior Williamson