[Gllug] hostname on CentOS

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Nov 12 18:10:17 UTC 2005

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005, Tethys uttered the following:

> Nix writes:
>
>>On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, Tethys whispered secretively:
>>> Even when using xargs, you should still append /dev/null to the end of
>>> the grep.
>>
>>I've always used xargs -r, but I tend to have that mentally hardwired
>>as -print0 | xargs -0r, so I forget the -r when I'm giving examples
>>that can't use -0...
>
> Using -r still wouldn't remove the need to append /dev/null, though...

Yes it would, because it would avoid running the command *at all* if no
arguments are added. Hence the /dev/null kludge (whose entire raison
d'etre is to stop the command reading from stdin if no arguments are
added) is unnecessary.

--
`Heinlein is quite competent at putting together sentences, but usually
he also puts together a plot to go with them.' --- Russ Allbery
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk