[Gllug] Debian SSH not letting root login anymore?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Nov 10 13:57:20 UTC 2005

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005, Rich Walker stated:
> Alain Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk> writes:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 03:48:35PM +0000, Rich Walker wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I recently upgraded one of our machines, and now can't do
>>>
>>>   ssh -X root at thoth
>>>
>>> to it any more.
>>
>> Quite right too.
>>
>> ssh as yourself and then 'su'.
>
> I want X forwarding across a minimum number of connections.

Using PAM-0.79 or above, add to /etc/pam.d/su

session    optional   pam_xauth.so

and the X authentication cookies and DISPLAY will survive a su to root.

(I prefer to use ssh as well.)

--
`Heinlein is quite competent at putting together sentences, but usually
he also puts together a plot to go with them.' --- Russ Allbery
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk