[Gllug] Issues with Hotplug && Auto-mounting

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Nov 30 19:11:18 UTC 2005

On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 04:23:53PM +0000, Christian Smith wrote:
> Not entirely. The application framework is written mostly in (awful) C++,
> using the Mozilla version of COM (XPCOM).
>
> Firefox is then an application built on top of the framework using XUL and
> javascript. It is not the Mozilla framework, but uses the framework. So
> firefox is indeed mostly an interpreted application in XUL and JS.

Well you're right in a technical sense that "Firefox" is mainly just
some XUL, styles and Javascript, but in a practical sense you need to
haul along a huge amount of C++ (the mozilla framework) and that does
the real work.  It'd be rather like saying that Tcl's "tclsh" command
is only 10 lines long because all it does is instantiate a Tcl
environment by using libtcl*.so.

> At my company, we built our cross platform (Windows, Solaris, Linux,
> HP-UX, AIX) installer on top of the Mozilla framework, using custom C++
> components and XUL and JS to tie it all together. Gives us the nice
> benefits of essentially the same installer on Windows and UNIX, with a
> small custom layer to tie into MSI or a proprietry UNIX package manager.

I'm glad you managed to make it work, because about 2 years ago when
we were exploring going the same route, the framework was incredibly
obscure, barely documented, and rapidly changing.  I hope it's got
better since then.

Can you run Mozilla applications without having to install them as
root now?

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.