[Gllug] [OT] Technobabble

Anthony Newman anthony.newman at uk.clara.net
Wed Nov 16 09:28:11 UTC 2005

Nix wrote:
> Attempted translation:
>
> `The average household consumes services for which 10 tonnes of CO2 must be
> burned each year. If this were produced entirely by electricity production,
> it would be...'
>
> ... and then my translator fails too, because `putting the kettle on'
> doesn't specify a time, an amount of water or anything, although it does
> imply heating-to-boiling. We can guess that the amount of CO2 is
> approximately that produced when generating enough electricity to boil
> 100,000l of water, but without knowing how much water people typically
> put in their kettles, or vaguely what temperature it's assumed to be
> when it comes out of the tap, well, the error bars on this analogy
> are *huge*.
>
> Wonderfully craply put, though. It *sounds* like it should mean
> something, but...

Given that the mean kettle consumes around 2200J/s, probably has around
a litre of water within which it puts through a temperature change of
~90 degrees Celsius at $average_tea_drinking_interval... The thing we
have no idea about is the overall plant efficiency of the kit that
brings the juice to our door.

What does a tonne of carbon dioxide look like anyway *shrug*. Unless
they mean a tonne of carbon as carbon dioxide, which would look like 2.3
tonnes of see-through stuff you can't breath but plants like. Argh! I
blame the hippies.

Ant
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk