[Gllug] partition table screwup

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 1 22:12:04 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 14:05 +0100, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> Tethys wrote:
> > Conversely, why would you want to stick it all on a single filesystem?
>
> I'm not saying you would, I was merely curious as to what usage for a
> machine would require so many partitions.

I tend to partition my home machine up into slices - I currently have 7.
I don't really feel the need to resize - most of my space gets allocated
under /home, and having the others separate makes various tasks (like
backup) easier. The / partition very rarely changes, and gets backed up
less than /usr, which gets backed up less than /home. I figure restoring
the system from an old backup and having to apt-get upgrade isn't that
much work, but I'm rather risk averse with stuff under /home, which
includes a lot of personal data I couldn't reconstruct in the absence of
backed up copies.

It can also help with disk problems - I run S/W RAID, and after a disk
failure I found a couple of arrays wouldn't restart automatically, as
they were marked dirty. Manul restart was fine, but if /usr and / has
been on the same partitions, the machine probably wouldn't have booted,
so it saved me time there.

Mike

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk