[Gllug] Raw Partitions

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Nov 23 19:42:48 UTC 2005

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, Steve Nelson spake:
> On 11/22/05, Peter Grandi <pg_gllug at gllug.for.sabi.co.uk> wrote:
>> Also, RH EL 3 comes with a kernel (if you are using the standard
>> kernel) which has an optimization with a well known limitation
>> that usually manifests itself when there are several complicated
>> software subsystems running concurrently. Unfortunately this
>> limitation has different impacts on different systems and
>> architectures.
>
> Ok... again some evidence for this would be interesting, but I still
> don't see the point.

Note the lack of any info on what the `optimization' or `limitation' or
`subsystems' might be.

This might be an excessively vague way of talking about CONFIG_4KSTACKS
and the problems with heavily nested block device chains, especially
with device-mapper in the mix (fixed in 2.6.15); but so little info has
been provided there that we're left guessing. I'm not even sure if
RHEL3's kernel is built with 4KSTACKS; it would have to be a very
early version of the patch indeed, if so.

(Odd that a prolix googler like Peter would make a mistake like that.
Even odder that it's exactly the same mistake he goes on at tedious
length about others making.)

[snip GFS stuff I don't know much about]

--
`Y'know, London's nice at this time of year. If you like your cities
 freezing cold and full of surly gits.' --- David Damerell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk