[Gllug] Music Server

Steve Nelson sanelson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 11:17:19 UTC 2005

On 11/7/05, ANDREW MCCALL <andymccall at btopenworld.com> wrote:

> I'm seriously condisering setting up an old PC as a music server on my
> network at home (hardwired using cat5). Which distro would the group
> recommend? Also is there any preferred "kit" for direct playback via phono
> into a amp and music system?

If, like me, you like to do the simplest thing that could possibly
work, I recommend $distro_of_choice + edna.

Edna is a simple python-based music server - all it does is serve up
playlists and stream them over a network.  Very simple, very low
demand on resources, and easilly hackable.

What distro you use is entirely your choice.  Debian is always a
winner for minimalist installations, as all you need is the tiny
businesscard install CD, and a base install.  I ran a setup as
describe above from a Packard Bell P150 with 32M of RAM running
NetBSD.  It happilly served a dozen or more concurrent feeds.

Edna can be found at: http://edna.sourceforge.net/

> Andy

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk