[Gllug] Re: Alcatel SpeedTouch on Slackware 10

Henry Gilbert henry.gilbert at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 15:40:54 UTC 2005

On 11/18/05, Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> wrote:
> Somehow I've missed the `meeting new people' part, probably because I
> never actually seem to get to gllug meetings. I really must make the
> next one.

Oh no. Not them lol .. You don't get even free biscuits + tea & coffee !! :P
You get free hardware though which is alright.

I am talking about the neighbours and friends/relatives of neighbours.
Linux can provide a tie-in operating system; where they become fully
dependant on you - you might not charge them money; but you can
certainly suggest the free roast dinner or two.

To be fair I never wipe out their Windows partition - unless it is
truly cripped and in the way of installing Linux. They say all they
want is to be send emails and surf the net. Fine - Linux then.

> > You get free dinners and they are all over you - very nice hehe.
>
> Well, *that* has certainly never happened to me. How do you do that,
> again? ;}

Do it for free - they then feel obliged.
OK it doesn't always work ... and NEVER use it as a way to date some
pretty french student (lodging with them) - it can all go terribly
wrong.

> > Which is why I never fix Windows Operating System anymore, even if
> > they beg ...
>
> Alas my mother uses it, and charging her consultancy rates might
> seem... ungrateful.

My sister commited the heresy of going back to Windows just because I
didn't have enough time to make that winmodem work on Linux. She
convinced herself broadband is too expensive and that dial-up is a
money saver. For real ... all that after me giving her a router.
I purposely keep myself as ignorant as possible about Microsoft OS and
products. Let them eat cake .. or worse.

Arrgh I need this modem to work!! I guess they are beginning to get
pissed off waiting.

HG
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk