[Gllug] p2p programs

Henry Gilbert henry.gilbert at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 15:45:40 UTC 2005

wu-ftpd << SERVER

and a bad choice of a server too.

Let me simplify for you - by Desktop Linux
I mean one that does not have any public services on.

> Rubbish.  Let's take one example, IRC.  I frequently use IRC to get and
> provide help on various topics.  When I'm helping someone, if I were
> feeling malicious, I could ask them to execute a command that would be
> destructive if done as the root user.  Because I'm "helping" the user,
> the chances are they will just blindly copy and paste the command in.

lol
how very effective.
you could try and convince him to spill orange juice on the
motherboard all the same.

we are talking about plug-into-the-internet
and get infected immediately

also note that by successful exploit - I've meant one that was actually pursued
now you have your X years of Linux
find me an individual whose Desktop machine was compromised using Linux
(and not running N public services) and I rest my case.

> "rm -rf" is a bit unimaginative and will almost always be recoverable.
> "dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/hda & (:(){ :|:;};:) " is a little bit
> harder to undo.

I forgot to delete that - it was about this Linux security guy take on
root vs non-root
his stance was more of convenience
i was going to Google for the article but couldn't be bothered anymore.

i would be interested to know how to undo rm -fr * in reiserfs

> It's no coincidence that many "help" channels have a permanent ban on
> the root user's hostmask.

it's been a long time I haven't touched IRC

but at the time
it was interesting observing all these adults playing
mod power games in their alternative worlds.

what was it
/set mode +b something .. I forgot thank God :)

> > OK were you present at the Discovery Meeting yesterday?
>
> No, I was busy stripping and cleaning walls in bedroom #4.

there was people there.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk