[Gllug] Sony Protected CD's apparently installing rootkits...

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Nov 1 16:41:18 UTC 2005

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Simon Rumble spake:

> On 1/11/2005, "Junior Williamson" <junior at acetechno.freeserve.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>>It seems the DRM system used by Sony on it's CD in this case (apparently
>>written by a company called First 4 Internet) automatically installs a nasty
>>rootkit which is very difficult to remove.
>
> It's part of Sony's catch-up campaign to force Apple to open the iPod
> to non-iTunes sellers.
>
> I stopped buying Sony crap a long time ago because of the stupid DRM
> bullshit.  Their Minidisc software is possibly the worst UI I've ever
> seen.

The interesting thing is that this software (also used by BMG,
apparently), is written and sold by a UK company, First 4 Internet, Ltd.

Given that the software *blatantly* violates the Computer Misuse Act,
might the CPS not be interested, or at the very least the Trading
Standards people?

--
`"Gun-wielding recluse gunned down by local police" isn't the epitaph
 I want. I am hoping for "Witnesses reported the sound up to two hundred
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk