[Gllug] [OT] Technobabble

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Nov 21 23:42:33 UTC 2005

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005, David Damerell wrote:
> On Monday, 21 Nov 2005, Jim Bailey wrote:
>>On Nov 21, 11:50, David Damerell wrote:
>>>Perhaps it is unclear to you that this is someone _talking_ but it is
>>>their _actions_ that affect the environment. And their actions are to
>>>increase emissions and energy consumption year-on-year.
>>My original post was to show that eco-design in building could be used
>>to greatly reduce energy consumption and thus make the possibility of
>>purely renewable energy policy much more likely over the longer term.
>
> And if you hadn't chosen to make some obviously absurd assertions
> about China, you might have just had Nix pointing out where you're
> talking rubbish.

Sorry, I got too depressed to continue when it moved into politics. Of
*course* the hardest part of this will be political. That's always true,
humans being what they are. :(

>>The replacement of Newcomen's engine by Watt's produced fuel savings of
>>around 75%,
>
> Very good, tell me something I already know!

Hm, OK, your name is David.

;)

>                                              Now, would designing and
> installing chimney scrubbers with the technology of the era have made
> any sense? No.

Nobody thought it would be necessary. Nobody thought of it at all. Hence
the speculation is silly.

>>>A "bivalent debate" is one where when you talk nonsense someone points
>>>it out, right?
>>Support the claim of nonsense David,
>
> I'm not the one claiming China is taking effective action.

China used to be the bicycling capital of the world. It still is, but
everyone's buying cars. This is not because of the nasty Chinese
government, but simply because people can afford them now.

>>Fewer cars would be a _nice_ option but the vast majority of people
>>don't want to give up their car and unless forced to do so by a police
>>state won't give up their cars.

Hence, China.

[snip firestarting attempts]

--
`Y'know, London's nice at this time of year. If you like your cities
 freezing cold and full of surly gits.' --- David Damerell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk