[Gllug] Web Site Creation

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Thu Nov 3 11:00:13 UTC 2005

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 10:52:07AM +0000, Aaron Trevena wrote:
> On 11/3/05, Henry Gilbert <henry.gilbert at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 11/3/05, Richard W. M. Jones <rich at merjis.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm going to agree with Henry here and add that the Perl
> > > Template::Toolkit is another way to go about templating, particularly
> > > for static sites.
>
> > Is Perl Template::Toolkit easier to use?
> > What do I need to make it work locally on my machine?
>
> TT provides a very nice, very clear templating language that is quick
> and easy to learn.
>
> Installation is trivial on any sensibly set up box (i.e. perl and cpan
> installed) :
>
> perl -MCPAN -e 'install Template'

Or, on a Debian box just "apt-get install libtemplate-perl" or on
Fedora you can "yum install perl-Template-Toolkit" (assuming you're
subscribed to Dag Wieers RPM repository).

> > It took me a long to realize
> > XML/XSLT to be the pants - hideously unmaintable for generating static content.
>
> Yes. XSLT is for simple style changes and transforms to XML, it isn't
> a general programming or templating solution whatever the zealots
> claim.

Don't got anywhere near XSLT - for websites its a solution for a problem
which doesn't exist. Just create your content in strict XHTML (ie, no
style / layout cruft in the HTML), and do styling with CSS.

Dan.