[Gllug] pervasive computing - everything crashes

Chris Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Nov 3 07:10:54 UTC 2005

John Winters wrote:

> IME the fastest silent Mini-ITX (600 MHz) isn't quite powerful enough to
> display DVB-T streams, even with the hardware acceleration on the video
> output.  They can manage analogue TV but not DVB-T.  The result is
> intermittent sound which makes them unusable.

I also found the video would "step" and momentarily pause as well.

> I find the non-silent Mini-ITX options unsuitable because you have a
> very small fan whizzing round which makes for a particularly pervasive
> noise.

It's /really/ irritating, so I housed the box in another room, and with
a bit of infra-red ingenuity, I got the whole mess to work from the TV
remote control!  I sold the ITX I'd bought for the project as my wife
deemed it too noisy for the living room.   It sold for just a little
less than I'd paid for it, lukily.  The PVR box is a second or third
hand no-name AMD Athlon thing with a couple of big HDDs in it and a
Hauppage card.  It does the job.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk