[Gllug] Raw Partitions

Steve Nelson sanelson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 12:02:55 UTC 2005

Hi All,

I need to simulate reading and writing to a raw partition on a test
machine before I perform the same procedure on a live system, which
appears to be crashing when the same happens.

I've got hold of sg_dd for the read/writes, but need to create a raw
partition for experimenation.

I'm not especially keen on repartitioning my test machine so I can
create a raw device.  Is it possible to create a rawdevice 'within' a
current partition.

I am thinking along the lines of the mkswap or mkinitrd commands - can
I use dd or some other tool to create a 100M file which I then bind
using raw?

Or am I barking up completely the wrong tree (and thus revealing a
lack of insight into how raw devices work)?

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk