[Gllug] Re: Alcatel SpeedTouch on Slackware 10

Henry Gilbert henry.gilbert at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 10:19:23 UTC 2005

On 11/18/05, Doug Winter <doug at pigeonhold.com> wrote:
> That's nothing to do with the distro, well not directly.  I expect you
> just had the wrong client glx extension, or some broken X config
> settings.  Proprietary drivers are a world of pain on their own,
> unsurprisingly.

I agree. There is a mix bag of some preconfigured settings that could
be on the way. And when its on the way - and I don't know any better
(XFree86-4 calibration is not my strength) - I just go OK, let's try
this other distro and their pre-settings.
In the end it's all Linux anyway.

> If you are using the nvidia drivers you need to make sure you are using
> their client extensions too - sometimes the installer ballses up and you
> end up using the SGI client.  You can check with glxinfo.

Again an area I should revise more. I will try to use glxinfo more
often instead of seeing colourful clogs turning as a way of reference.

> Anyway my point really was about kernels not distros, even if I admit to
> some feeble debian cheerleading :)

Debian is really really great. I probably allow myself bad excuses to
explore a new distro. Undoubtedly Debian could be tweaked to get great
speeds just the same. I just kid myself that in this case Slackware
will be easier.

> Recompiling the kernel doesn't in itself make your computer faster
> really.  (I'm sure someone is going to come up with some science stuff
> and dispute me here, with various tales of insane speedups from building
> your own kernel), but IME it's just a huge amount of grief for little
> gain - as long as your distro kernel is a good one and supports your
> hardware.

I agree. But with 2.6.12+, changing settings like low-latency
pre-emptiveness, and clock speed 1000Mhz does make a difference. There
are some hints (not to be taken as gospel) at this site:
http://www.linux-militia.net

Recompilling kernels is not that painful. You just change a few
modules (or start from scratch) then hit make
dep/clean/bzImage/modules/modules_install... and go and make yourself
a cup of coffee or tea ... Ok, maybe not coffee, maybe roast dinner or
plant a tree ..
I think I do it for educational reasons all the same.

On low RAM systems, a stripped kernel could make a difference; and
because swapping of memory does influence speed - on some occassions
recompiling a thin kernel can help. Obviously I am dwelving into a
dangerous territory too, inciting protests at any time.

> I fear this is a religious point though, and I'm going to get flamed to
> high heaven for saying that.

It should start soon. They can't help it :)

> > (ps: maybe I put such effort in the hope they really don't contemplate
> > going back to Windows - and if they do, they miss Linux terribly. I
> > can't relax until the OS is at its' most optimal settings)
>
> I'm not sure whether to compliment you on your altruism, or wonder
> whether you perhaps need to find a healthier obsession :)

Racing cars wouldn't be a bad idea. But I am no millionaire yet :(

It's the learning and meeting new people - that makes me enjoy this hobby.
You get free dinners and they are all over you - very nice hehe.

I am averse to pain, if I didn't enjoy it - I definitely wouldn't do it.
Which is why I never fix Windows Operating System anymore, even if they beg ...

HG
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk