[Gllug] [OT] Technobabble

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Sun Nov 20 11:09:11 UTC 2005

On Nov 18, 05:17, David Damerell wrote:
> On Friday, 18 Nov 2005, Jim Bailey wrote:
> >China and India have done the maths and know their growth is not
> >environmentally stable.  Anyone like myself, who has been in Calcutta
> >knows how much more immediate the enviromental cost of polluting
> >wasteful technologies are.  Which is why India leads PV research and
> >development and China has recently ordered all new buildings to reach
> >new environmental standards and older ones be refitted where possible.
>
> Is that why China is so keen on the ever increasing use of motor cars
> there, a well-known clean technology?

What has that got to do with China ordering that new building have to be
more energy efficient.  the last time I checked most cars didn't run on
power from nuclear power plants.

Though in the future they maybe which is why we need a range of
technologies and maybe nuclear but to me nuclear is too much power into
the hands of small group of industrialists.  the price range if I
remember was some where between 2.5 and 5 cent a unit for nuclear, I
would be suprised if nuclear could achieve the bottom end of the price
range it never has in 50 years.

However China has also been making efforts to clean up its domestic
automative industry.

http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/002703.html
http://www.livescience.com/technology/eco-friendly_china_041018.html

There is also this, I think its uses if it prove to be practical will
extend far beyond refuelling cars.

http://www.solve.csiro.au/1105/article15.htm

Don't get me wrong I am not becoming an apologist for China but the
current mainstream projections of the enviroment seem to project
emerging nations as failing to make the running environmentallly.  We
can not make the necessary changes because the emerging nations won't
simply isn't true.

--
Peace Jim :-)

keys:  http://freesolutions.net/jim/pubkey.asc

 If violence and retaliation were truly an effective way to fight terrorism,
 the Middle East would be the safest place in the world.
 --Kenneth L. Brown

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk