[Gllug] Discovery Day

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Nov 11 22:12:54 UTC 2005

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, Tethys suggested tentatively:

> "Andrew Farnsworth" writes:
>
>>Instantly accessible via windows on a reboot with no data loss.
>
> Wouldn't the NTFS -> ext[23] -> VFAT roundtrip lose things like ACL
> information associated with a file that would have been present with
> the original NTFS data?

That depends if samba translates NTFS ACLs into Linux ACLs. I'd
expect some information loss because Windows and POSIX have different
ACL models and there are things you can express in each that you can't
express in the other, and obviously VFAT would lose all the ACLs and
alternative streams completely.

--
`Heinlein is quite competent at putting together sentences, but usually
he also puts together a plot to go with them.' --- Russ Allbery
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk