[Gllug] wireless broadband routers .... insufficient range

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Wed Nov 16 11:06:11 UTC 2005

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, Alain Williams wrote:

> my sister has a broadband wireless router; unfortunately she is not able to receive
> any signal from where she wants (inside a large victorian house). I have told her to
> lay in UTP -- which doesn't impress her.
>
> Do different types of router generate different 'strength' signals ? Ie might a different
> model help - if so how would you identify it ? I suspect that the answer is 'no' since the
> wifi card plugged into the laptop would also need to be more powerful.
>
> Any other suggestions ?

Have you tried moving the router to another location?

Older buildings are usually better built - ie real walls etc - which can
mean it's harder to get good internal wireless coverage while staying
within legally defined limits on signal strength.

Before you spend any more money or drill any holes see if repositioning
the router will solve the problem. If not you may have to run utp as you
suggested.

Jason Clifford
--
UKFSN.ORG		     Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/	       2Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98 / month

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk