[Gllug] Web Site Creation

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Fri Nov 4 13:00:50 UTC 2005

Aaron Trevena writes:

>> Well, it's simply my experience that it takes more effort to write
>> maintainable perl than to write non-maintainable perl, and that a lot
>> of people aren't willing to put in that effort :/
>
>I don't think this is true for any programmer worth hiring - i.e.
>having at least bothered to read learning perl and the cookbook.

The point you seem to be missing is that the vast majority of perl at
large in the world isn't created by people like that. It's created by
mindless morons who write unmaintainable gibberish, and I have better
things to do with my valuable time than trying to sort the mess out.
Thus I choose to avoid perl. Even those people I've hired that are
technically competent don't always get it right, and I simply don't
have the time to babysit them to ensure they do. Choosing another
language maximises my chances of having a maintainable project in the
long run, so it makes sense to do so.

If you've managed to end up working with a bunch of people that have
the discipline to write good perl, then good for you. But in the real
world, that's a virtually impossible environment to find.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk