[Gllug] Email record retention

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Thu Nov 24 16:30:25 UTC 2005

Just heard on BBC that the EU's civil liberties committee (now there's
a misnomer if ever I heard one) has recommended ISPs be required to keep
records of email traffic.  Not much detail in the report about what
details will be kept.  Main point they made was that member states are
to cop the cost of this, not the ISP.

So how are they going to do this effectively?  Surely terrists are using
hotmail/gmail/jihadimail accounts, which are outside the EU.  I'm sure
MS and Google would hand over the records in a moment, but I'm sure you
could find  a provider who wouldn't.

And what about people like me who have a hosted machine elsewhere (US)
for their (and that of other people) email?  How will that work?  Will I
be required to retain stuff to hand over about myself?
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk