[Gllug] MP3/Ogg player hardware?

Justin Perreault justinperreault at dl-jp.com
Tue Oct 11 08:54:20 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 10:54 +0100, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> Well I managed to break the screen on my crappy little mp3 player.  The
> two things I liked about this player were its price (£13!) and the fact
> it had no memory of its own, instead using SD cards.  I didn't like the
> fact that you got no track names nor that it didn't support Ogg files.
>
> It still works, but without the screen working.  I reckon it's a good
> excuse to buy a replacement ;)
>
> Any suggestions?  I need something small and light, to rest on the
> handlebars of my bike (velcro holds the present on in place).  Would
> prefer something that can take SD cards or similar, and really like
> something that took Oggs.

I have to recommend the Samsung product range in particular the Yepp MT6
line;

http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/digitalaudioplayer/flashmemory/yp_mt6zels.asp

If you can find them they are great, 1GB can be had for under 100 quid.
Playback time on one AAA is about 40 hours and supports OGG out of the
box.

I got this one for my wife and it works a treat. There was only one
product that I saw planning to carry SD-slot + OGG support but that fell
through. I have not checked since getting the one for my wife so I
suggest checking the supported products page of the xiph.org wiki;

http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/Main_Page

--
Justin Perreault

Better questions lead to better answers-

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk