[Gllug] Memory usage

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 03:49:46 UTC 2005

Whats the best way of finding out what is using my memory on my linux box?

I have a server that has 1Gb of memory, It was using all this up and a
small amount of swap, and was running rather slowly, So I shut it down
to fit some more memory, This failed the new memory was for some odd
reason was incompatible even though  it was the correct speed, spec,
and size. Anyway when it had rebooted all the programs needed only
took up about a 1/3 of the memory leaving plenty of room for cache and
buffers within the 1Gb of memory. This meant that the server seamed to
have more memory even though the upgrade had failed.

So I'm now wondering if I can workout what was using all my memory and
either fix what I think might be a long term memory leak of some sort,
Previous to yesterday the server had been up for well excess of 3
months. I'm thinking that its some service as user applications are
exited and reloaded on a regular bases and even if they did have leaks
they would not keep the memory for long periods.

Oh apps, Postgres, Firefox, Kontact, Openoffice, multiple times were
running LTSP.

Any ideas?

Peter Childs
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk