[Gllug] Re: Memory usage

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Thu Oct 13 13:33:16 UTC 2005

Peter Grandi writes:

>It is hard to believe that your OOo when starting from cache
>takes a large fraction of 13 seconds of CPU time on a CPU
>probably twice as fast as mine. So perhaps it is either a
>debug-flags build, or it is still groping for way too many
>files, but then they should be cached...

With a hot cache:

	leto:~% time oowriter
	javaldx: Could not find a Java Runtime Environment!

	real    0m11.926s
	user    0m9.220s
	sys     0m3.109s

>Also, check the FontConfig/Xft2 font list with
>
>  fc-list | sort -df | less -S
>
>as it might also be useful to see if it can be trimmed,
>especially of asian fonts.

I have a large number of fonts (over 1200), which I use for various graphic
design work. However, if I strip them down to the base 132 fonts shipped
with FC4 it gives less than half a second speedup for oowriter.

One things that occurred to me is that I have an NFS mounted home
directory, and OO.o seems to be doing an unnatural amount of reading
and writing even before the splash page is displayed, which perhaps
accounts for some of the slowdown. Personally, I consider that to be
a bug. Abiword and gnumeric manage just fine, and start up in a couple
of seconds at most. The argument that's trotted out is that OO.o does
more than abiword (although I'd seriously contest a claim that it does
more than gnumeric). But if that's true, why is it doing so much more?
It certainly doesn't have much more functionality (yes, it has a bit
more in a few places, but not *that* much more).

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk