[Gllug] Re: live cd

Mark Preston mark at markpreston.co.uk
Sat Oct 22 21:03:02 UTC 2005

        Hi Diana,

        It is certainly possible to save settings. I use Knoppix and the
        following is taken from the FAQs. I'm sure it is very similar
        for Ubuntu. It is also possible to remaster Knoppix to use
        desktop icons to automate the process, and also to save data
        from databases e.g. LAMP systems running in RAM.

        Q: How do I save my preferences (language, UI...) at the end of
        my session, when booting from CD? How do I restore them?

Go to the K-menu > KNOPPIX > Configuration and choose "save config", you
can save to floppy or to an already existing partition on the harddrive.
(on a windows partition is fine)

To restore it, at the "boot:" prompt type in "knoppix myconfig=scan",
and it should find and restore your saved settings at boot time

        Q: How do I use an USB memory stick to save myconfiguration?

A: First boot KNOPPIX with the memory stick
<http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/keydrive>  inserted. Got to the KNOPPIX
menu, Configuration, Save Configuration. When asked, choose /dev/sda1.
When booting type *knoppix myconf=scan home=scan* at the boot prompt.

No it does not defeat the whole purpose of running from a live cd, it just enhances it. With
a read only live cd there is no risk of getting viruses and crackers writing to your cdrom.

Regards,
Mark

Diana Scott wrote

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk