[Gllug] LVM Problem

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Oct 20 12:13:41 UTC 2005

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, Daniel P. Berrange suggested tentatively:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 07:27:38AM +0100, Peter Childs wrote:
>> Hmm thinking about this further how about if I vgexport the volume
>> group and then reimport it ie vgimport. Either way it looks like I'm
>> going to need to reboot it to do it and I would like to know all the
>> ins and outs before I go ahead as once its down time is extremly
>> limited. If I can do it with out having to bring the machine down it
>> would be even better.
>
>> This is growing my opion that LVM is just another thing to go wrong.
>
> The statement 'XYZ is just another thing to go wrong' is true of a very
> large number features / pieces of technology. Blinding using all features
> regardless of applicability to the task in hand is probably not a good
> idea - one must consider the tradeoff between complexity and increased
> capabilities.

Besides, with LVM you can almost stop using partitions at all, thus
eliminating one thing to go wrong: and as someone who's thrashed at
corrupted partition tables often enough in the past, boy does it go
wrong.

--
`"Gun-wielding recluse gunned down by local police" isn't the epitaph
 I want. I am hoping for "Witnesses reported the sound up to two hundred
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk