[Gllug] Apache 2 vs. 1.3 charset problems

Garry Heaton garry at heaton6.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Oct 18 16:52:46 UTC 2005

I've just migrated a client's website from a Windows server to CentOS 4.1
running Apache 2.0 and we've hit an odd problem with some characters in web
pages produced from Excel spreadsheets.

The client converts Excel sheets into HTML pages but when we upload them to
the new Apache 2.0 with default charset settings, there are spurious
question marks all over the place.

My initial reaction was to blame it on MS formats but I've loaded the same
pages onto a Fedora machine running Apache 1.3 and the problem disappears. I
have to conclude that Apache 1.3 and 2.0 handle problematic charsets in
different ways.

The charset of the HTML page seems to be non-defined, according to Emacs,
but Apache 1.3 seems to handle it gracefully.

What to do?

Garry
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk