[Gllug] CentOS and RHES

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Tue Oct 25 11:11:02 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 11:58 +0100, Tethys wrote:
> "Martin A. Brooks" writes:
>
> >There's only two vendors I'd trust to get this right: Redhat and Debian.
>
> *Cough*! Are you feeling alright, Mart? That was a positive comment
> about a non-Debian distribution!

Just fine, thanks :)

Redhat _do_ get this right.  Redhat's problem is that they get it right
with a package base of less than 15% than Debian's.

Redhat's weakness is that most people need stuff that Redhat don't
supply and so they turn to third-party RPM vendors leading to potential
breakage when upgrade time comes along.

In 6 years of running Debian I cannot recall more than 2 occassions
where something I've needed has not been more than "apt-get install foo"
away and from the official repos, too.

I know many RHEL customers will not get into this scenario but equally
many do.  They have to bolt on third-party and self-built RPMs, or, even
worse, manually install applications, to the point where using RHN to
keep their systems up to date is a non-starter as doing so would risk
serious breakage.

Mart.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk