[Gllug] Any UK banks using one time passwords / secure ID tokens ?

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Sun Oct 2 12:35:53 UTC 2005

As with most people these days, I do quite alot of online banking, but
I've been thinking about security a bit recently, and come to the conlusion
that I'm no longer really happy with the security measures provided by
the various online banking services I've used thus far. Most are simply
based around some form of secret code from which you are prompted to enter
a couple of digits each time, along with some dumbass personal security
questions such as mothers maiden name, place of birth, date of birth, etc,
etc.

These security measures may have been sufficient back in the day when
although the distant terminal would be considered as "untrusted", it was
not really thought to be under active attack. Leave spyware running for a
week, and you'll trivially have collected all digits from any secret code.
Personal 'security' data is trivally recoverable from public records. And
lets not even mention the phishing email scams. In short, IMHO, online
banking security sucks ass.

At an absolute bare minimum, I'd like to be required to use one time
passwords and/or one time keys from a secure ID generator token. I hear
such measures are common practice in countries such as Sweeden, but thats
not much use for me. So, my question, does anyone know of any UK banks
which are providing this kind of level of serious security ?

Regards,
Dan.