[Gllug] Removing LVM (RHEL4)

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 12:52:06 UTC 2005

On 19/10/05, Bruce Richardson <itsbruce at uklinux.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 09:09:56PM +0100, Peter wrote:
> > On the topic of LVM I'm trying to use some spare space on my LVM (I've
> > got about 84GB unused currently) But unforinally lvcreate does not
> > work.
> >
> > sudo lvcreate -L 80G -n company main
> > Password:
> > lvcreate -- ERROR "pv_status_all_pv_of_vg(): no PV" getting status of
> > volume group "main" from kernel
> >
> > I think its because lvm thinks I'm using devfs which I'm not.
>
> Why do you think that?  What is telling you that?  Also, what do pvscan
> and vgscan tell you?
>
> If you do not use devfs, do you use udev?
>

> > So I'm
> > guessing I need to reboot with devfs switched on and then use lvcreate
>
> Even if that worked, and I can see how it might, it would just be a
> workaround on what sounds like a broken system and the best response is
> to fix the breakages.
>
> > I can't just mount devfs as the error messages get even more silly!
> > (Like telling me I'm using the wrong version of lvm)
> > Anyway now where did I leave that error message....
> > Hense probably the main reason for not using LVM is that not using it
> > keeps things simple and  more fault tollerant.
>
> LVM really does not add much complexity and actually makes maintenance
> considerably easier if you use it properly.

Looks like the using it properly is the difficult bit. I see it as
just another thing to go wrong! Oh I got my solution by doing some web
searches for people with simular problems! (good old google)

If you've got a better idea I'd love to hear it because rebooting the
server is not really an option currently!

sudo pvscan
Password:
pvscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/sda2" of VG "main" [228 GB / 24 GB free]
pvscan -- total: 1 [228.03 GB] / in use: 1 [228.03 GB] / in no VG: 0 [0]

sudo vgscan
vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
vgscan -- found active volume group "main"
vgscan -- "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d" successfully created
vgscan -- WARNING: This program does not do a VGDA backup of your volume group

sudo vgdisplay
--- Volume group ---
VG Name               main
VG Access             read/write
VG Status             available/resizable
VG #                  0
MAX LV                256
Cur LV                5
Open LV               5
MAX LV Size           2 TB
Max PV                256
Cur PV                1
Act PV                1
VG Size               228 GB
PE Size               32 MB
Total PE              7296
Alloc PE / Size       4608 / 144 GB
Free  PE / Size       2688 / 84 GB
VG UUID               JGWnlD-H8PQ-WU7R-HH1G-yU69-0maE-QGZvsJ

Peter Childs
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk