[Gllug] Exim4 with Debian Sarge

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 27 13:23:16 UTC 2005

Hello,
   Incoming emails to my system are correctly addressed to
username at account_name.demon.co.uk

   Outgoing emails are routed via a smarthost at demon.co.uk and should have
header details with From: and Helo=  account_name.demon.co.uk.

   I am trying to correct a problem in which outgoing mail from my private
network has had a Helo=box_name.localdomain.

   I now have a local mailserver "mailserver" which is listed on my local
DNS as being in the domain "account_name.demon.co.uk". It is intended to
fetch incoming mail from Demon and be a local smarthost for my local
network, sending outgoing mail via the smarthost at Demon.

   I found that if I follow the standard Debian configuration system and try
to re-write the headers of (only) outgoing mail to appear to originate from
"account_name.demon.co.uk"
rather than
"mailserver.account_name.demon.co.uk",
the local smarthost collects incoming mail from Demon and immediately sends
it back to the smarthost at Demon, which dutifully sends it back again with
a longer header...
   This does not happen if I do not request header rewriting, and then get
"Helo=mailserver.account_name.demon.co.uk"

   Am I trying to do the impossible, or is it a problem associated with
over-simplified configuration tools?

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk