[Gllug] Simple Postfix setup

Lee, Paul paul at ma1.se
Tue Oct 11 10:44:42 UTC 2005

Garry Heaton wrote:

> Can anyone point me towards a simple Postfix setup which will allow 10
> varieties of <something>@mydomain.com to be relayed to individual mail
> accounts elsewhere? Examples:
>
> john at mydomain.com ...... to ...... john at aol.com
> alan at mydomain.com ...... to ...... alan.holt at yahoo.co.uk
> gil at mydomain.com ....... to ...... gillian at gmail.com
>
> I've bought 2 books on Postfix but neither seems to address this clearly.
> All sources I've read warn against accepting mail from outside the local
> network or DMZ, but unless I'm missing something obvious how else are random
> users going to send email to anyone using the domain?
>
> Garry

Hi

err.. well from memory... ;o)

1. You will need a `virtual` table in /etc/postfix

This takes the format:

john at mydomain.com  john at aol.com
alan at mydomain.com  alan.holt at yahoo.co.uk

2. Then run /usr/sbin/postconf

3. Also `mydomain.com` and any other domains you wish to accept or
forward mail for need to go in /etc/postfix/localdomains

I like postfix. It can also be made to talk to MySQL quite easily so all
the forwarding changes can happen in real time, without running postconf.

BTW. I'm new to the list as well.

Paul
<e>paul at ma1.se
<w>www.ma1.se