[Gllug] retro computing

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Thu Oct 6 19:04:05 UTC 2005

Joel Bernstein writes:

>Why bother? I really doubt it'll even *run* X11R6 let alone have
>sufficient RAM to load anything.

Don't be daft. Of course it'll run X11R6. What do you think we used
to do back in the days when all we had were 386s? For the record, I
used to run X[1] on a 386SX20 with 2.5MB of RAM. Before you ask, yes
it was slow and swapped a lot if you tried to do too much with it.
But is was usable, and when I later expanded my RAM to 4MB it was fine.

Tet

[1] Admittedly I think it was X11R5 back then, but that's irrelevant
    to this discussion.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk