[Gllug] blacklisted mail servers

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Fri Oct 21 07:55:28 UTC 2005

paul wrote:
> If a mail server is blacklisted by a company, but the people running the
> server are not guilty of spamming - I.E: they have been used as a spamming
> relay, does all mail get blocked or is it dependent upon who blacklists you?

Blacklists are third party databases of IP ranges that have been
identified, right or wrongly, as being a source of spam.  Blacklists
themselves do not block mail.

People who run mail servers may choose to check all connecting hosts
against one or many blacklists before deciding whether to accept an email.

Some systems,  Antibody for one, merely use the blacklists as a guide.
A message can be assigned extra "spam points" if it comes from a host
that is part of a blacklist but still accept the mail if the total score
it receives is less than the spam trigger threshold.

> Also is there a quick way to check the security settings (relay settings etc)
> within sendmail?

less /etc/sendmail.cf ? :)

Mart.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk