[Gllug] Spam

Peter Grandi pg_gllug at gllug.for.sabi.co.UK
Fri Oct 14 11:26:21 UTC 2005

>>> On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 10:47:07 +0100, "Mike Leigh"
>>> <mike.leigh at hornbill.com> said:

[ ... ]

mike.leigh> I have my own domain name and allow any email to the
mike.leigh> domain to come to me. [ ... ] The disadvantage is
mike.leigh> that zombie hosts will find a domain name and then
mike.leigh> send emails to every name in a dictionary to the
mike.leigh> domain.

The obvious solution is to have no MX for 'domain.tld', but only
for a suitably named subdomain, for example 'email.domain.tld',
and so on.

Suitable variations, in which there is a different subdomain per
correspondent or class or correspondents, are even more
effective.

For example when posting to USENET I put a different domain
every few months, e.g. currently it is '0509.exp.sabi.co.UK',
and when I change it to something else, the spammers will get
nowhere on the old one.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk