[Gllug] Low-cost fanless linux-friendly hardware

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Mon Oct 17 13:27:43 UTC 2005

Tom Schutzer-Weissmann writes:

>Can anyone suggest a low-cost (< £150) _silent_ computer to run Linux?
>With lots of USB hubs, to use for networking, as a print hub, whatever
>needs doing and has to be on all the time.

I built a near silent machine from a VIA EPIA 5000 motherboard in a
Cubid case. It's completely fanless, but I chose a slow hard drive,
rather than flash storage, so it's not *completely* silent. You do
have to stick an ear against the case in order to hear the drive
rotating, though.

It also came to a bit more than 150 quid. I think is was around 210 all
in (which was about a year ago, so you may be able to do it cheaper now).

	http://linitx.com

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk