[Gllug] samba newbie

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Wed Oct 12 11:37:59 UTC 2005

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 12:13:51PM +0100, James Goldwater wrote:

> Andrew Farnsworth wrote:

>>>Bah.  Don't know what I was thinking, but the wireless router blocks
>>>ports 137/139.  Hence I cannot telnet/connect to the server on those
>>>ports.  Bother.
>>>
>>>Thanks for the help.  Off I go to see if I can justify opening those
>>>ports (although I suspect probably not)...
>>

>>If you cannot get the ports open, you could tunnel your connection over
>>SSH.  Not a perfect solution as you have to SSH into the box to have
>>access to it, but it would get you in.
>>

> Will this work?  AFAIK, you can't tunnel UDP over SSH and SMB needs this
>  IIRC?  Anyway, another way is to use OpenVPN if you have admin access
> to your client.

It's been a long time since I've had to deal with routing/firewalling
SMB traffic, and it's usually a real pain involving many different
versions of the protocol and operating system.

Early versions of Windows required UDP but modern versions can do
NetBIOS-over-TCP (NBT), certainly since Windows 2000.

If you are running Windows 2000 or higher at both ends there is also
the option to use CIFS (Microsoft's next revision of SMB) on port 445,
but you may need to change the web interface port number using the
/usr/local/bin/setreservedports program.

| A. Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion |
| Q. Why is top posting bad ?                             |
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk