[Gllug] CentOS and RHES

Simon Morris simon.morris at cmtww.com
Mon Oct 24 21:48:37 UTC 2005

Karanbir Singh wrote:

>> Are they similar enough that for day to day maintenance they wouldn't
>> know/care which distribution they were working on?
>
> Yes, they are similar. For most functional issues, you would need to
> look at /etc/redhat-release or something like that to check what distro
> you were on.  Something interesting : at LinuxWorldExpo, london - I
> counted 9 people who came to us and said that they prep'ed for the RHCE
> exam on Centos, and passed the exams never having used the Redhat
> product. How is that for an indicator as to how functionally similar the
> two products are ?

It's a very good indicator! That actually says a lot..

>> Is the lack of software from Red Hat in CentOS enough to make
>> administering these servers wildy different from one another.
>
> I am not sure what you are pointing at here ... no s/w is removed from
> CentOS when compared with RHEL, only the package manager ( yum ) is
> added and logo's branding changed.

OK - I guess my question was if proprietary Red Hat software has to be
stripped out from CentOS or is it purely logos and the word "Red Hat".

If software is removed would an administrator of the server have to know
if the server was RHES or CentOS when working on it... Does that make sense?

> The one component of RHEL you wont get access to on CentOS is the Redhat
> Network. But then if you have a large number of machines ( > 4 ) it
> makes sense to run your own local repository and just update / manage
> pkgs from that repository.
>
> And you always have the #centos @irc.freenode.net channel and the
> mailing lists for help / info if you need it

It all looks good, thanks for the information

~sm
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk