[Gllug] [OT] Phone Scam?

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Sun Oct 30 09:59:35 UTC 2005

On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 09:51:25AM +0000, t.clarke wrote:
> If you ask me, I reckon the whole business of premium and higher-rate numbers
> is a complete disgrace.
>
> I understand that in abt 2 years time the Telcos will no longer be able to
> 'rebate' 0870 calls back to the recipient. Hopefully the cost will then come
> down for these numbers   -  I am pretty pissed off with having to phone
> companies who only publish 0870 numbers - and having to pay approaching 10p
> a min to then listen to music-on-hold peperrped with 'we value your custom'
> messages (when tyhey clearly do not!).

It is rather like the fact that you now need to pay extra to book over the phone at
most cinemas -- something that wasn't extra years ago. Just a way of soaking a few
extra ## from the punter. With some events you can ONLY book by phone - in which case,
IMHO, the phone charge ought to be included in the advertised price.

> As for premium rate numbers - I have my doubts that they serve any really useful
> social need at all   - call me a dinosaur, but I reckon phones are for talking
> to other people on!

See:

	http://www.saynoto0870.com/

--