[Gllug] just preaching to the converted !

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Oct 23 21:13:02 UTC 2005

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005, Chris Hunter suggested tentatively:
> Simon Morris wrote:
>
>> Last time I checked there was 2.4 code in the Linux 2.6 kernel. No
>> Operating System starts anew with each and every new version. This
>> argument doesn't really make sense.
>
> MS make great claims with every release that their shiny new OS is
> "completely new".  There are bugs from 10 years ago that are still
> present.

`Completely new' is obvious nonsense, as you state, but what MS's
problem really is is that whenever they want to iterate the upgrade
treadmill they're competing with earlier versions of their own
software --- which means they have to badmouth it. Alas, people can
remember that only a few years ago MS were saying that that same OS
was the best thing since the invention of fire... and people, even
IT directors, can spot the contradiction and are getting a bit sick
of it.

(But I surely don't need to tell *you* that.)

--
`"Gun-wielding recluse gunned down by local police" isn't the epitaph
 I want. I am hoping for "Witnesses reported the sound up to two hundred
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk