[Gllug] dual voip + landline phone for linux

Ben Fitzgerald ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Oct 23 12:17:31 UTC 2005

On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 12:42:25PM +0100, Martin N Stevens wrote:
> > I don't want to go beyond £100 (I'm from oop north!).
> >
> > Dual function (analog and VOIP) appeals as I have broadband through BT
> > and the fallback to analog appeals (my girlfriend will have my scalp if
> > the phone is unreliable!!!). My connection is 512down 256up. I'm
> > considering upgrading this as recently I've needed more bandwidth.
> >
> > Suggestions for cheap, non-lock in VOIP -> POTS providers would also be good.
> > Pay as you go preferred.
>
> I would do this with something like asterisk at home, with a Grandstream
> VOIP phone, and a POTS card.
>
> The world is your lobster once you get asterisk going,

nice dali pun! ;-)

thanks Martin. I've found a useful onlamp article on this topic:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2004/01/22/asterisk2.html

I'll get through that and total up my costs. I'll probably run this by
the group before I place my order to wash out any gotchas.

cheers,

ben.

--
Registered Linux user number 339435