[Gllug] MP3/Ogg player hardware?

hammond.mason at uk.abnamro.com hammond.mason at uk.abnamro.com
Fri Oct 28 12:58:08 UTC 2005

Thanks Minty.
I went to the URL in your mail, read it and did some hunting around and
found that "UMS firmware is not available for the T10, T30, iFP-700 and
iFP-800 series players."
Facking great.
I should have bought the 300 series.
I'll download the iFP-300 UMS firmware and see if it'll work on my iFP-895.
Failing that, I'll try the firmware upgrade for the iFP-895 and see if
opens up any opportunities.
Cheers

             Minty
             <mintywalker at gmai
             l.com>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  Greater London Linux User Group
             gllug-bounces at gll         <gllug at gllug.org.uk>
             ug.org.uk                                                  cc

                                                                   Subject
             28/10/2005 11:22          Re: [Gllug] MP3/Ogg player
                                       hardware?

             Please respond to
              Greater London
             Linux User Group
             <gllug at gllug.org.
                    uk>

On 10/27/05, hammond.mason at uk.abnamro.com wrote:
> I bought an iRiver iFP-895 (512MB) and received it yesterday.  When I
> plugged it into my laptop's USB port nothing happened.  It appears from
> your post that I need to change the firmware in it so that I can mount
it.
> Can you give me any details about how to do this, please?  I am fairly
new
> to linux and my knowledge of bash commands is fairly limited (although I
do
> know how to mount drives).  My distro is Linspire 5-0.  Any help you can
> give me would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not aware that you can update the firmware from within linux : you
need to have it connected to a windows machine.  You can then update
the firmware, at which point it should be a regular usb device, which
you can access from linux (although I haven't actually done the latter
with my iriver device....)

http://www.iriveramerica.com/support/ums.aspx

has some details, but looks kinda old.  Have a hunt around the iriver
support site for "ums" etc, and you should find the appropriate one
for your model.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk

privileged. If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by
return e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorised
use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly
prohibited. Please note that e-mails are susceptible to change.
ABN AMRO Bank N.V. (including its group companies) shall not be liable for
the improper or incomplete transmission of the information contained in
this communication nor for any delay in its receipt or damage to your
system. ABN AMRO Bank N.V. (or its group companies) does not guarantee that
the integrity of this communication has been maintained nor that this
communication is free of viruses, interceptions or interference.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk