[Gllug] Exim4 with Debian Sarge

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 27 16:07:15 UTC 2005

On Thu 27 Oct, Russell Howe wrote:

> Does adding a line such as the following to /etc/email-addresses solve
> your problems?
>
> username: username at acountname.demon.co.uk
>
> (AFAIK, this is a Debian-specific file)

   I am using a mixture of machines on my local network, and most of my
emails are actually typed using my old Acorn Risc PC. That is quite capable
of sending emails direct to the Demon smarthost with the correct "From:  ,"
but with the Helo=box_name.localdomain. I was reminded by someone at Demon
that I should correct this, which is what I planned to do when I rebuilt my
system.
   My main Linux box started getting disc read errors just as I was
preparing to replace the disc with a much larger one, so I was prompted to
sort a few things at the same time.
   I left my Acorn collecting emails by POP3 but not flushing the server at
Demon while I set up a new mail smarthost, and discovered the problems
involving messages being sent backwards and forwards between my new
smarthost and Demon. I was also informed that some of my other boxes may
have been sending occasional admin messages which rattled around Demon until
they were dumped.

   Yes it is a single Debian-specific exim4 configuration file which is
generated to cover standard options, although the option of multiple
configuration files is offered with the warning that they may be less
reliable. It appears to contain a number of single line optional variants to
the main Debian defaults.
   I am happy to try modifying the multiple exim4 configuration files if I
can be reasonably sure that what I am trying to do is sensible and
achievable.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk