[Gllug] CentOS and RHES

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Oct 26 10:01:53 UTC 2005

Jason Clifford wrote:
> The biggest problem was a change in the behaviour of mysql with bdb tables
> supported - it was requiring far too much memory and malloc was failing at
> mysql start time hence killing mysqld.

Is this an i586 machine by any chance ? the only machines I was aware of
with bdb + mysql issues were some MiniITX machines that fell over flat
with exactly the same symptoms...

> Your checking logs a week or so later isn't going to help anyone is it?

maybe not, but it would atleast let us find out what was going on and
why you saw the behaviour you did.

> mirror.centos.org is not a single system. You do not operate all of the
> mirrors - I'd be surprised is the CentOS team directly manages more than a
> couple of them. Those who do operate them set the protocol support
> policies and oddly enough most large mirrors offer FTP access.

Be surprised then. We ( the guys at centos who do mirror admin ) have
root on each and every machine - those are either Dedicated servers
donated to the project by people like LayeredTech, EuroVPS, serverbeach,
managed.com etc - or machines hosted in highspeed colo facilities that
the developers like me pay for out of our own pockets.

No machine included in the .centos.org namespace would have outside
access. if you did hit something external, expect DNS poison. ( another
reason why pkg signing / checking as suppored by RPM is a good idea ).

External mirrors are listed under their own domainspace on the
http://www.centos.org/mirrors page.

There is no FTP access from mirror.centos.org - nor can you directly
download ISO's from mirror.centos.org ( use BitTorrent or look at
external mirrors ).

- K
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk