[Gllug] Soundcards for recording

Steve Nelson sanelson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 05:02:29 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I've set up a machine for the purpose of transferring my vinyl
collection to a digital form (probably flac).

All is well - I can record via the soundcard input, using audacity -
it all works very smoothly.

However, every track I've recorded has a nasty interference pattern
superimposed, which my investigations lead me to believe is as a
result of a) a crap on-board VIA chipset and b) nasty noisy fans.

The next plan, therefore, is to obtain a 'good' soundcard for the
purposes of recording, that might be less liabale to such
interference.

It had occurred to me to replace fans, but I suspect the problem is
with the shielding (or lack thereof) of the soundcard?

I'd appreciate recommendations on good stereo soundcards - doesn't
need any fancy gadgets like onboard DACs or the like - just good build
quality and sound quality.

I used to have a few ISA soundblaster cards that were great, but they
appear to have gone missing during the move from London to Hampshire -
if I gave them to you - do let me know!  My memory is failing before
my 30th birthday :)

Thanks,

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk