[Gllug] ubuntu wireless

Simon Morris simon.morris at cmtww.com
Thu Oct 20 08:31:43 UTC 2005

Jeff Young wrote:
> Hi Simon
>
> Thanks.
>
> I have done dhclient and ifconfig. I have got wireless
> conection working.

Hello Jeff,

Nice one! So it seems that your Ubuntu installation isn't set to start
your wireless card on boot (neither is mine as it increases startup time
when I boot my laptop)

If you wanted to you could get it to ask for an IP address everytime you
start your machine in the GUI under "System/Administration/Networking"
or you can edit the file /etc/network/interfaces

> I am surprised that it didn't ask for my router's ip
> address and its password.

No, I'm guessing you mean the password you use to configure the ADSL
router through a web interface? That has no bearing on how machines
connect to it over wireless.

The only password you may require would be the WEP key which is
currently disabled. You should be aware that anyone else in range of
your router could also ask for an address and start to use it so you may
want to look at WEP next.

> My router model is SWAMRU-54108.

There is a forum about this model here

http://adsltech.com/portal/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=48