[Gllug] Fedora Core 4 sound - just an observation

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 31 14:23:06 UTC 2005

On Mon, 31 October, 2005 2:14 pm, Nix wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Oct 2005, Henry Gilbert said:
>> yes
>>
>> try OSS
>
> This operates at a level below ESD: the problem is almost certainly ESD
> itself. ESD is a horrific little piece of bugware notable, at least in
> my experience, for gratuitously stopping me hearing anything thanks to a
> busted `authentication' system, for producing jolting and gap-filled
> sound with a vast interrupt load, for insane latencies in the sound it
> does produce (at times >2sec!) and for not providing access to most
> capabilities of the underlying sound system (its `volume scaling' and
> software mixing systems don't work and are fundamentally broken, so
> you can't even change the volume via esound!)

Actually the new esd binary seemed to solve the problem - but the old one
did display many of the characteristics referred to above.

Rather more worryingly I had to completely abandon an attempt to install
FC4 on a new machine on Sunday after there was a kernel panic on boot -
two ide processes looking for the same spinlock.

It looked like a pretty serious bug (in ide-io.c) but I was so fed up with
it all I didn't bother to note the details (I'd already had a mass of
trouble with Fedora and my network card), just used a torrent to download
ubuntu and installed that - what a great system.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk