[Gllug] just preaching to the converted !

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 17:40:46 UTC 2005

On 22/10/05, Adrian McMenamin <adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Some good points here and I'll recount a meeting I went to this week. I
> don't work in IT so this was almost by chance - but I attended a meeting
> with some CIOs from some very big corporates as well as key people from
> some big suppliers.
>
> It was all Chatham House terms so I cannot say who said what, but
> basically the hostility to OSS (nobody dared used the term free
> software) was intense. One CIO of a very big firm said OSS "worried" him
> because he didn't feel he had anybody to hold to account for it and
> other basically dismissed it all as small beer and the plaything of
> techies

The thing there is that if you accept the Microsoft EULA then you also
don't have anyone to hold to account for failings in software. You
know *who* to blame but try and hold them to account and you'll soon
find you left your rights at the door when you hit "I accept"

--
~sm
Jabber: mozrat at gmail.com
www: http://beerandspeech.org